Vaping and e-Cigarettes
According to the WHO (World Health Organization), there is evidence that vaping and e-cigarettes might not be the most effective or safe method to quit smoking conventional tobacco products. Here are some reasons why:
- Nicotine is highly addictive.
- Nicotine is toxic to developing fetuses.
- Nicotine can harm adolescent brain development, which continues into the early to mid-20s.
- Although e-cigarettes contain fewer harmful chemicals than smoke burned from tobacco products, the aerosol they emit can contain substances that harm the body such as: cancer-causing chemicals and tiny particles that reach deep into the bronchioles.
- Unforeseen accidents occur via the use of e-cigarettes. There have been fires and explosions that have resulted in serious burns. A defective battery when being charged can explode and seriously injure those around the device.
- The nicotine exposure from e-cigarettes is toxic. There have been instances reported where adults and children who have swallowed, breathed, or absorbed e-cigarette liquid via their eyes or trans dermally, have been poisoned.
- E-cigarettes have not been approved by the FDA as an effective smoking cessation aid because there is insufficient evidence to prove this as a valid treatment protocol. Although e-cigarettes do not contain nicotine, they are still classified as ‘tobacco products’ according to the FDA. However, compared to inhaling the over 7,000 toxins that exist in a conventional tobacco product, it can be an effective means to wean ones-self off tobacco use.
- Smoking even a few cigarettes or cigars daily can be dangerous not only to you but also all those around you, so kicking the habit completely is a goal you should strive to attain.
- Tobacco smoking is the cause of over 7 million deaths worldwide per year, while second-hand smoke is the culprit of approximately 1.2 million deaths yearly. That equates to 1 in 5 deaths in the United States alone per year.
“I hand roll my stogies, so I’m cool”. WRONG!! Just because you roll your own, doesn’t mean you’re getting out of jail free. Research has found that life-long self-roller smokers actually have a probability of contracting cancers of the larynx, esophagus, mouth and pharynx. And you thought you were going more organic – sorry, but no bueno.
All Natural Cigs
And for those who like it ‘all natural’, there is absolutely no proof these cigs are healthier or safer than commercially manufactured cigarettes because they still contain carcinogens and toxins from the burning tobacco and contain tar. Really people, folks are dying every day from smoke inhalation when caught in burning buildings. Why are you burning your own body daily? Makes no horse sense to me.
Cigars, Cigarettes? Some people believe it’s cool to smoke cigars. Many perceive themselves as sophisticated and suave. One cigar contains as much tobacco as an entire pack of cigarettes. They smell and truly, you look pretty stupid with the pacifier hanging out of your mouth. Cigar smokers are at risk of every cancer associated with tobacco and additionally linked to cancers of the pancreas and bladder.
Hookahs – The Social Smoke. Hookahs or water pipes are is heated using charcoal which produces carbon monoxide and other toxins. This form of smoking has become quite popular with the social scene of millennial here in the United States as they smoke and talk, while passing the pipe. Not only is this cancer-causing but the bacteria and germs spread by swapping spit on the same mouthpiece with a group of individuals defies all common sense.
Smoking is Anti-Social
Last but not least, smoking is anti-social. It is offensive to persons who don’t want to smell like tobacco and are in your company (maybe that’s why you’re sent outside and away from a building when you want to have a smoke). You stink and kissing a smoker is akin to licking an ashtray. You have halitosis. You look stupid with that thing hanging out of your mouth. You have an addiction.
For more information on e-cigarettes and other tobacco products, feel free to connect to the links listed below. If you’d like to quit, most cities have free counseling and services available to help you. Live longer and healthier and stop being an outcast of society. Take action today!