Recently, I had a lengthy conversation with a friend on perception and how it relates to each individual’s reality. I thought I’d have some fun with this for a few days proceeding our discourse and asked quite a number of people what their thoughts were on perception. I was surprised to find that not many folks were familiar with the definition of the word. So today, I offer you some food for thought. Have a look at the definition of perception, its synonyms, and antonyms. Think about it and see how your perception and the perception of others in any given situation affects the outcome. You might find yourself opening a dialogue with someone on the topic – it does become a juicy morsel for conversation.
1. the act or faculty of perceiving, or apprehending by means of the senses or of the mind; cognition; understanding.
2. immediate or intuitive recognition or appreciation, as of moral, psychological, or aesthetic qualities; insight; intuition; discernment: an artist of rare perception.
3. the result or product of perceiving, as distinguished from the act of perceiving; percept.
4. Psychology . a single unified awareness derived from sensory processes while a stimulus is present.
5. Law. the taking into possession of rents, crops, profits, etc.
Synonyms For Perception:
approach, attention, attitude, awareness, concept, consciousness, feeling, image, impression, judgment
knowledge, notion, opinion, recognition, sense, taste, thought, viewpoint, acumen, apprehension
brainchild, conceit, conception, discernment, flash, grasp, insight, intellection, light, observation
perspicacity, picture, plan, sagacity, sensation, study, apprehending, big idea, brain wave, realizing
Antonyms For Perception
concrete, ignorance, stupidity, thing, unconsciousness, misconception, misunderstanding
Source: Roget’s 21st Century Thesaurus, Third Edition Copyright © 2013 by the Philip Lief Group.