It’s been quite warm and humid here in the Northeast corridor today….my kind of day! I love the heat, but most people don’t care for 90 degrees and tons of humidity. I thrive on it. Here are a few simple tips to stay cool during the dog days of summer:
- Don’t eat red meat in the heat! Red meat (and that includes the ribs, burgers, steaks and hot dogs) is meant to be ingested during the cooler months of the year. Red meat warms the body and ingesting red meat on a hot summer day is akin to putting rocket fuel into your system. Switch to poultry and white fishes or just go vegetarian. You’ll stay cooler, not feel greasy and sluggish and your stomach will be able to digest your foods much more efficiently.
- Nix the booze. Alcohol raises the body’s blood pressure and the idea of ischemic event on a hot summer day is nobody’s ideal of what happens at the pool party. If you must drink, have something light (white wine, vodka) and drink one 8oz glass of water for each cocktail you imbibe.
- Slow down! Slow down your breathing, slow down your pace of walking and just ‘take it down a notch’ with your emotions and actions. This will help keep the body cooler and help with overall metabolism.
- Eat watermelon…it not only tastes great but will help to cool you off…old Chinese trick! Pomegranate juice is also a wonderful way to cool off. Mix pomegranate juice with seltzer, ice and fresh mint…the perfect non-alcoholic summer cocktail.
- Schedule a weekly acupuncture treatment. I can help you de-stress. This will cool you off…enough said.
Today is Bastille Day….one of my favorite days of the year. Before I leave you to celebrate, I offer you this: Liberty, Equality, Brotherhood (as translated from the French). In today’s crazy world, let us remember we are all free, equal and at the end of the day no matter where we live or where we come from, we are all brothers and sisters in the eyes of God.